Xylem Celebrates Earth Day Within Applied Water Systems Value Center
During the week of April 22, employees from 23 global sites within Xylem’s Applied Water Systems value center participated in the company’s second annual Earth Day Celebration. This celebration recognized Xylem’s commitment to providing sustainable solutions to some of the world’s most challenging problems in the home, at work, and within communities.
The company sponsored 23 acres of endangered rainforest to commemorate the event: one acre to represent each participating facility. Each acre of rainforest will help protect threatened habitats in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador or Mexico, ensuring survival of trees and endangered species such as jaguars, ocelots, and tapirs.
“Xylem’s rainforest sponsorship serves as inspiration to protect our communities by engineering solutions that provide clean, safe water, while conserving both water and energy,” says Greg Mimms, environmental health and safety global director for Xylem’s Applied Water Systems value center.
Local Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) managers hosted the celebration at each of the participating 23 sites for Xylem employees and offered remarks regarding Xylem’s sustainability efforts. Each facility received a framed certificate designating their unique acre of sponsored rainforest. The employees, dressed in either green or blue, also participated in an all-employee photo opportunity.
The following facilities added their own unique activities to the celebration:
- Dallas, Texas: Enjoyed clean drinking water filtered with a reverse osmosis demo unit
- Wuxi, China: Signed a banner signifying their individual commitments to sustainability
- Chihuahua, Mexico: Employees’ children entered a “Draw Our Rainforest” contest featuring the facility’s adopted rainforest in Bolivia
- Morton Grove, Illinois: Recited a pledge renewing their individual commitments to sustainable lifestyles
- Stockerau, Austria: Placed plants into their facility-specific Vogel Pumpen end-suction pump
- Nogales, Mexico: Participated in a facility-wide Earth Day costume contest
“Xylem’s annual Earth Day celebration serves are a reminder of our business’s continued leadership and as an environmental steward helping to secure communities and ecosystems around the world,” says Mimms. “The talent and commitments made by each of our employees on Earth Day will support our mission to solve the world’s water challenges, minimize the company’s impact on the planet’s ecosystem and embrace ambitious environmental standards.”